Veteran Services


American Legion

Various locations throughout WA State. Benefits asssistance, job search assistance, education assistance, healthcare benefits assistance, long-term care, treatment courts, and state homes. Membership of $25-30 a year offers discounts on insurance, car rentals, and more.



Army Emergency Relief

P: (888)878-6378

Locations at Joint Base Lewis McChord and US Coast Guard Base Seattle

Education scholarships, childcare assistance (up to $1500), and other financial assistance such as: Emergency travel, mortgage, rent, initial deposit, temporary lodging, food, healthcare (not covered by Tricare), vehicle costs, utilities, funeral expenses, basic essential furniture, appliance costs, cranial helmets, child car seats, dental care (for dependents), home repair, non-medical attendant travel, clothing, special needs medical equipment, and spouse relicensing/recertification.



Army Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR)

Emergency childcare fee assistance and parent services, referrals, ID cards and records, education plans, financial counseling and assistance, legal and pastoral services, and substance abuse information.



Blue Star Families offers a free stress and worry management online course:


Code of Support

P: (571)418-6339

Must provide ID, proof of income, proof of disability, and service records. Case management for education, employment, budget counseling, mental health, housing, legal help, disability claims, and more.



Disabled Veteran Lifetime State Parks Pass – (360)902-8500 Must submit application, proof of disability status, and proof of residency; limit to 10 days of Summer camping and 20 days of off-season camping per year with free boat moorage and trailer dump:



P: 1(800)827-1000

Military One Source Employment Assistance Program 1(800)342-9647 24/7

Mon-Fri 5am-6pm

Apply for disability compensation, add or remove dependents, VA healthcare, education benefits, pension benefits, and employment benefits. Housing grants such as: Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) for disability related home updates and Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for VA home loans; Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI).



Free Driver’s License Veteran Designation (Must have VA ID or DD Form 214):


Homes for Our Troops

P: (866)787-6677

For retired veterans injured in Iraq/Afghanistan war post-9/11. Must pass background check. Must have eligibility letter from the VA Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) program or Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) for legal blindness or loss of the use of one or both hands.



Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA)

P: (212)982-9699

Free mental health counseling, financial assistance (rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, groceries, basic supplies, medical bills, vehicle and home repairs, and more), housing assistance, education assistance, employment assistance, legal assistance, and help navigating the VA.



Medicare Plans Resource:


Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)

P: 1(800)424-8200

Free employment support, VA benefits claims assistance, legal services, medical services assistance, grants available for accessibility design needs.



TriWest Healthcare Alliance

P: (877)226-8749

Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

Benefit Information




P: (877)699-2654

Checking accounts, insurance, credit cards, and other benefits.



U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – VA Supported Housing (HUD-VASH) Program

P: (800)698-2411

Rental assistance vouchers available for homeless veterans. VA case management can connect services such as: healthcare, mental health treatment, and substance use counseling.



U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

P: (800)698-2411 24/7

Benefit Assistance: Healthcare, mental health, disability, education and training, employment, pension, housing, life insurance, burials, and records. Free confidential 24/7 Veterans Crisis Line (800)273-8255 ext. 1



Valley Cities Behavioral Health Care

P: General Health Care Clinic and Support Services (206)408-5246

325 W Gowe St, Kent

Military Clinic (253)215-7070 Mon-Thur 8:30am-7pm; Fri 8:30am-3pm

6103 Mt Tacoma Dr, Lakewood

Free mental health and substance use services to veterans; housing case management; employment services; transitional housing for ages 18-25; supportvie housing; financial assistance; school-based counseling for youth; WISe program for up to age 21 who are eligible for medicaid; 28-day residential intensive program with medication-assisted therapy options. Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic: All post-9/11 veterans eligible for free mental health services.



Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs (WDVA)

P: 1(800)562-2308

1102 Quince St SE, Olympia

Locations in both Thurston and Pierce Counties.

Claims assistance and case management, transitional housing (fees vary; standard 30% of income), financial assistance, and counseling. Homeless Veterans Reintigration Program (HVRP) provides food, clothing, transportation, access to shelter, skills assessments, employment assistance, and job retention follow-up. Also offers a WA Soldiers Home in Orting: Must have honorable discharge; veterans rated 70-100% service-connected disabled may have nursing home covered by Federal VA.



Wounded Warrior Project

P: (888)997-2586

Mon-Fri 9am-9pm

Serves wounded veterans post-9/11 (physically or mentally). Offers free: Adaptive sports, VA claims assistance (such as appeals, medical, caregiver benefits, education benefits, disability benefits, and pre-discharge claims), emotional support phone calls, family support programs, financial education and emergency financial assistance, case management, home healthcare services, alternative therapies, stress management, mental health support and intensive programs (mental health disgnosis doesn't need to be service-related), employment programs, and referrals to legal services, requiring a service dog, and more.





Crisis Connections

P: (866)427-4747

Support lines for: Veterans, recovery, crisis, and basic needs.



Federal Way Veteran Center

P: (253)838-3090

32020 32nd Ave S Suite 110, Federal Way

Mon-Thur 7:30am-6:30pm; Fri 7:30am-4:30pm; Sat By Appt. Only



King County Department of Community and Health Services

P: (206)263-9105

401 5th Ave, Suite 500, Central Seattle

Open 8am-5pm

King County Veterans Program: Housing, finance, health, social engagement, and networking services. Housing, homelessness, and community development division (HHCDD): Coordinated Entry for All (CEA) and Regional Access Points (RAP). Homeless Housing Program (HHP): Emergency and short-term housing (shelter/transitional/rapid rehousing), homeless prevention, and permanent supportive housing (PSH). Human services bus ticket program, and other funding for housing finance, housing repair, disability accessibility, and more available. Developmental disabilities and early childhood supports: Employment, school-to-work, and birth-to-3 services. Behavioral health and recovery: Mental health for low-income people, detox services, evaluation, Wise/Wraparound youth and young adult services, Children Crisis Outreach Response System (CCORS), Diversion and Reentry Services (DRS), senior services, mobile medical outreach program, kinship care supports, domestic violence and substance use supports.



Seattle Veteran Center

P: (206)764-5130

305 S Lucile St, South Seattle

Mon-Thur 8am-6:30pm; Fri 8am-4:30pm

Seattle Regional Office: Jackson Federal Building 915 2nd Ave, Central Seattle

Mon-Fri 8am-4pm



The Red Badge

1816 38th Ave E, Seattle

Therapeutic healing through artistic mediums such as writing, photography, music, and more.






P: (253)472-2552

5717 S Tyler St, Tacoma

Scholarship open January 15th to May 1st each year for up to $12,000. Free help filing VA claims, and career center.




P: Fort Lewis (253)966-1280 and JBLM McChord Field (253)982-1310

Fort Lewis: Waller Hall Pre-Sep Office Room 700 Waller Hall Building 2140
JBLM McChord Field: Disabled American Veterans 735 5th Street, Bldg 100 The Castle, Room 3112

Provides free transportation to VA medical facilities for injured and ill veterans; disaster relief grants; free VA claim filing information and support seminars; free employment program.

To be eligible for a DAV disaster relief draft and supply kit for an isolated or large-scale disaster, which is limited to one per family per disaster, the applicant must be ill/injured/wounded veteran or a spouse thereof, and must be the victim of a disaster.

$300 lifetime membership provides access to certain benefits, and veterans ages 80 and older receive free membership. Must be an ill/injured/wounded veteran who was honorably discharged or retired from military service. Most services offered are free for all, regardless of membership.



JBLM Opportunities Unlimited

P: (253)477-9675

11577 41st Div. Dr Room # 212, Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Mon-Fri 8am-4pm

Employment opportunities for veterans, service members, and their families.



Madigan Army Medical Center

P: (253)968-1110

9040 Jackson Ave, Tacoma

Includes: Madigan Annex, McChord Clinic, Winder Clinic, Okubo SCMH, Allen Soldier-Centered Medical Home, Soldier Recovery Unit (SRU), Puyallup Community Medical Home, South Sound Community Medical Home, Armed Forces Wellness Center, Intrepid Spirit Center, and Armed Forces Blood Bank PNW.



Pierce County Veterans Assistance Program

P: (253)798-7449

3602 Pacific Ave, Suite 200, Tacoma

Enter building on the second floor.

Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm

Provides emergency assistance to qualified indigent veterans and family members. Services include: Burial, food, medical, rent, utilities. Must provide proof of income and 180+ consecutive days in military, plus documentation for any dependents. Incarcerated Veterans Program provides Pierce County residents with possible housing, food, utility, drug and alcohol, poverty, homelessness, and PTSD assistance.



Tacoma Vet Center

P: (253)565-7038

4916 Center St Suite E, Tacoma

Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm; Sat By Appointment

Many support groups available.



VA Puget Sound Health Care System-American Lake Division

P: (253)582-8440

9600 Veterans Dr, Lakewood





Lacey Veterans Service Hub

P: (360)456-3850

4232 6th Ave SE Suite 101, Lacey

Benefits assistance, counseling for veterans and their families, housing assistance, financial assistance, employment training and assistance, educational assistance, food bank, healthcare coverage, and free legal services. Tuesdays at 10am Veterans Housing Options Group.



Lions Project New Hope NW

Workshops and counseling



Thurston County Veteran’s Assistance Program

P: (360)867-8236

Mon 1-4pm, Tue-Fri 9am-4pm

Assists with housing services; requires proof of income, marriage certificate, proof of military services, proof of residency, and birth certificates for any dependents.




P: 1(877)515-7848

Case management for: Clothing and household goods, education navigation, employment, food, healthcare, housing/shelter, family support, legal services, money management, spiritual services, transportation, and utilities.